Friday, September 20, 2019

Week 5 Story: Patrick the Sailor

"Once upon a time there was an ugly barnacle. He was so ugly that everyone died." - Patrick Star 
the ugly barnacle

Those were the last words I ever heard from the man thought the Captain as he made his way to the bazaar. What I carry and what I bring with me to these merchants are the last of the equipment that he left behind before he died.

It was a terrible accident. Four score and seven years ago, a ship I was in charge of land on what we thought was an island. Our men, tired from the long voyage at sea, sought to build a fire to cook our freshly caught fish and be merry. However, it all changed when the fire nation attacked. Upon lighting a fire, a terrible stirring of the ground occurred. Only a few of my men were able to make it back on board, myself included and as we were yelling for the other men to come aboard, the ground below them began to sink and a large spout of water came spraying out of the ground, piercing a man in half.  Our ship flowed away from the waves and I saw my men no more.

Even amongst those dead, I managed to gather the equipment of my finest sailor, Patrick Star from Bikini Bottom. I thought to myself if perchance I were to run into a family member of his I could give back his belongings and tell of his brave adventures out in the sea.

When I got to the bazaar, a crowd encircled me. I told them my story and the tail of my brave sailor when all of sudden one of the men raised his hand up.

Image result for patrick raises his hand
Patrick raises his hand
imgflip
"Captain it's me! Patrick!" cried the man.

I could hardly believe it. Here, after years of searching, a man perchance claims to be Patrick?

"The audacity that some men have! And here I thought that men are honest! How could you claim to be a dead man?" I barked at the pretender.

"Captain, I am he! I managed to escape and have sought refuge with a king!"

Lies! I thought to myself, there was no way that this man could be the famed Patrick. I saw him with my own two eyes. The destruction that the whale caused because we mistook it for an island.

"Captain!" yelled one of my men

"Yes?" I said

Turning back, I see my men swell up in tears.  For that man who I thought to be a pretender was indeed the brave Patrick Star who I have been looking for. Falling down to my knees I cry and kiss his feet.
Image result for Patrick Star crying
real tears


"How did you survive?" I asked.

End.

Bibliography:
Andrew Land The Arabian Nights

Authors Notes:
This is the first of Sindbad's voyages. The story takes place after Sindbad escapes a near-death experience of having mistaken an island for a whale. He drifts back on a piece of wood somewhere and manages to survive until one day he finds his captain trying to sell Sindbad's belongings. For this story, I told the story from the perspective of the captain.



8 comments:

  1. Hey Albert! This story was so interesting, and so creative! There were so many funny moments. I haven't read the stories about Sinbad, but from your author's note it was easy to tell what the story you were telling was actually about. Your idea to include Patrick was really great because he's such a funny character. The fact that you added all the pictures of Patrick doing the things you were describing was really great. And when you mentioned the fire nation, that was really funny! However, I got a little confused later when I found out that the reason the ship was destroyed was because they parked it on a whale, thinking it was an island. I now understand that this goes well with the original story, but I think it might have been cool if you stuck with the attack from the fire nation! Adding Prince Zuko to the mix would make the story even more interesting for me personally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Albert! First, I love that your blog is Patrick Star-themed, Spongebob is such a classic show haha. This story was awesome. Starting with a funny quote is always a good launching point for a short story. I enjoyed how you recontextualized the Arabian Nights story about Sinbad's voyages into a story with Patrick as a central character. It was a fun and satisfying ending when the captain realized that the man (or starfish?) was the real Patrick! You did a great job with the dialogue in particular. Why was the captain so impressed with Patrick's ability as a sailor? Did they know each other well before their time at sea? I would love to have had more background on their relationship. Also, who exactly is the captain? Maybe next time you could include a little information or even just some descriptions about the captain so that readers can connect better to him as a character. Overall this was really funny and enjoyable to read. I can't wait to read more of your Patrick Star stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Albert!

    First off, I love Spongebob (as so many others do) so this story was a treat to read, especially after seeing all the “old” myths be turned into newer stories. One thing I would say about this story was that it left on a bit of a cliffhanger – if there was one thing I was curious about in this story, it was how did Patrick survive??

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is such an amazing idea. I love the fact that Patrick is the one reading mythology stories. Patrick is one of my favorite characters and I definitely will be keeping tabs on your stories. The specific story though is excellent. I love how you began with the Ugly Barnacle story. This caught my interest immediately and made want to continue to read and gave me a chuckle. Another part that I really enjoyed was the cliff hanger at the end. I am a huge fan of cliffhangers in stories and if they are used well they can make a story an amazing story with a simple few words. One question I have is why is Patrick so good at being a sailor? It isn't a needed detail but the fact that I didn't know sparked my curiosity. One suggestion I have is make the cliff hanger more dramatic. End it on some dialogue or a suspenseful part like a fight or argument.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Albert!
    I just want to say that first off this blog is very creative in the way that you incorporate Patric Star into it. This really allows me to differentiate this story from the other Myth and Folklore stories because this is like reading Spongebob fan fiction in a way! This is a very cool way to entice your audience to want to read more. I also like how at the end of this story you left us readers with a cliffhanger. This is just another tool that you used to make me want to read more of your posts! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Albert!
    I love that you made Patrick a character in this story and used pictures that really fit what you were describing. You also managed to maintain a somewhat serious tone in your story as well despite using such a funny character and having a silly plot twist which seemed really fitting for this story. Your ending really made me want to know what happens next. I find myself asking, how did Patrick survive? No, really, how did he survive? A cliffhanger ending was a great choice for the ending despite the anger I felt when realizing that question was the last line of your story. My suggestion would be to proofread your story one more time. There were a few sentences that did not make sense but that is something you can easily fix. I also think it would be helpful to move your author's note to the top of the page before your story. Reading the note was very helpful in understanding your story so it might be nice to read before your story rather than after.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Albert,

    I really enjoyed reading this story from the perspective of Patrick. I definitely laughed when I was looking at the pictures. I grew up with SpongeBob so I really enjoy the first person point of view from Patrick. When I read, “Captain it’s me! Patrick!” all I could hear is when he says, “No, this is Patrick!.” It would nice and refreshing to see that you did not make him dumb but make him more human and give him a different voice than what I am used to from watching SpongeBob. Overall, I thought that this was a great rendition of a story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok Albert!
    I literally love so much that you took the classic Sinbad story and made a modern twist out of it by using Patrick Star. That is so original and creative! I also loved how you incorporated the Ugly Barnacle into this story, that is such an iconic Patrick Star quote that everyone loves. You did a really good job taking an old story and making it new and fun so that it would appeal to a more modern audience. Can not wait to read more of your work!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete