Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Reading Notes: The Odyssey Part B

James Gillray, Between Scylla and Charybdis. Image: Wikimedia Commons
Scylla and Charybdis
Scylla and Charybdis
Today I read the rest of the Odyssey. One thing that stuck out to me was reading the death of Odysseus's crew members in-between Scylla and Charybdis. How terrible fate it must be to go between Scylla and Charybdis. One thing that stood out to me that I did not recognize the first time was how Odysseus's men cried out for help and their last actions were reaching out toward Odysseus before Scylla consumed them. I can only imagine the grief Odysseus felt as his men, who harkened their captain's words, died crying out to their leader. For Odysseus was in charge of bringing everyone home and he failed and that is very sad.

Bibliography:
Tony Kline The Odyssey 
http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/05/odyssey-sirens-scylla-and-charybdis.html


No comments:

Post a Comment