Thursday, October 3, 2019

Reading Notes: Monkey King Part B

The story of the rebellion of Sun Wu Kung against heaven really reminds me of Paradise Lost by John Milton. In some ways, despite all the treachery and rule-breaking, I find myself relating and when he lost against Buddha I felt really sad for him. I guess the Monkey King appeals to all our vices and sense of pride eventually is his own downfall. The Synopsis ata the end is pretty neat and I am glad that Sun Wu Kung was able to become a Buddha. The redemption story and in the end where his helmet disappeared was touching. I think I want to read more Asian stories now. They're pretty cool!

Bibliography:
The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).

escaping Buddha's Palm

No comments:

Post a Comment